Domestic Violence Protective Order
Call a Domestic Violence / Family Law attorney at our office; we handle cases in Huntersville, Matthews, Charlotte, Concord, Kannapolis and all surrounding areas.
Victims of domestic violence do not have to suffer in silence. North Carolina General Statute § 50B provides immediate and substantial relief through a Domestic Violence Protective Order. The aggrieved party may seek an emergency or ex parte hearing if they have experience an act of domestic violence by someone with whom they have a personal relationship.What Type of Relief Does a Domestic Violence Protective Order Grant Me?
If the court finds that an act of domestic violence has occurred, then the following relief may be available to you through a protective order:
- No contact with you directly or indirectly through third parties
- Possession of the residence
- Order the eviction of a party from the residence
- Temporary custody of minor children
- Possession of the family pet
- Possession of your automobile or other personal property
- Order either party to make payments for the support of a minor child as required by law
- Order either party to make payments for the support of a spouse as required by law
- Order a party to refrain from doing any or all of the following:
- Threatening, abusing, or following the other party
- Harassing the other party, including by telephone, visiting the home or workplace, or other means
- Cruelly treating or abusing an animal owned, possessed, kept, or held as a pet by either party or minor child residing in the household
- Otherwise interfering with the other party
- Award attorney's fees to either party
- Prohibit a party from purchasing a firearm for a time fixed in the order
- Order any party the court finds is responsible for acts of domestic violence to attend and complete an abuser treatment program if the program is approved by the Domestic Violence Commission
If you have experienced an attempt by someone close to you to cause bodily injury, or you have suffered an injury, or have been placed in fear of imminent serious bodily injury, or continued harassment, then you are not alone. The Olsinski Law Firm is here to assist you. Call now to schedule a consultation.